Magento is the best solution for an eCommerce business, it has many advanced features & functionality which makes it better than others. Magento is a heavy system that’s the reason of slow site speed. Site speed is one of the most important factor in the conversion rate of an eCommerce business as well it help to grab the customers interest toward your store.
To improve the site speed & Magento site performance, you need to follow some basic rules of SEO. SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization, it is an important part of getting the net traffic that you need & helps to make your site more productive as well close to the top of the list of natural search results. There are some important SEO techniques that improve your website performance.
1) Create SEO-friendly URLs- Go to System > Configuration > Web > URL Options
– Change Auto Redirect to Base URL to Yes (301 Moved Permanently).
Benefit: Magento installations are set up to use 302 redirect that is temporary redirects, which do not pass link value. So for that, you need to change this to 301.
– Set Add Store Code To URLs to No under URL Options
– Go to System > Configuration > Web > SEO- Set Use Web Server Rewrites to YesBenefit: To create the readable URLs.
– Create a URL key while adding new product/page
2) HTML Header Settings for Indexation- Go to System > Configuration > Design > HTML Head
– Change the Default Title field with some generic keywords related to store because that will be used on all pages where there is no title.
– Clear the Default Description and Default Keywords fields
– Add your company URL or any Keyword on the Title Suffix field
– Use INDEX, FOLLOW on Default Robots field
Benefit: Search engine can easily index your website & show it n result page.
3) Avoid Duplicacy- Go to System > Configuration > Catalog > Search Engine Optimizations
– Set Use Categories Path for Product URLs as NO
Benefit: Avoid the duplication in URLs, it can change the URL category.
– Set Use Canonical Link Meta Tags For Categories to Yes
Benefit: It prevent to generate the duplicate content when you want to show the same product in multiple categories.
– Add Category URL Suffix to /
– Also, you can use to the rel=”canonical” link to the <head> section of your page to tell the search engines which URL will used to indexed the current page. Add the following line in your code <link rel=”canonical” href=”site url”/>
4) Improve the Magento Site Speed
– First of all clean the database log because there are many stores which keep too much of data that they never used.
– Enable all Magento Caches: System -> Cache Management
– To decrease the page load time: Go to System > Configuration > Catalog > Frontend- Set Use Flat Catalog Category & Use Flat Catalog Product to Yes
– To re-index data: Under System > Index Management, select all indexes and hit the “Reindex Data” submit button.
5) Use Descriptive Images: Images are most important part of any website, it is not only attract the visitors toward your store but also help to make website SEO-friendly. So, upload the images with meaningful names & description in a “title” and “alt tag” .
6) Create a Sitemap: Go to System > Configuration > Catalog > Google Sitemap
Click the Add New button, in the Filename field enter: “sitemap.xml” then click the Save & Generate button to create the Sitemap.
Benefit: It helps webmasters to inform search engines about pages on their sites & get indexed faster so that people can find your products easier.
7) Set up RSS Feeds: Go to System > Configuration > Catalog > RSS Feed > Enable RSS and Enable for Top Level Category
Benefit: RSS feeds for top level categories have a positive effect for SEO.
8) Enable Google Analytics: Go to System > Configuration > Google API– Set Enable option to Yes and type your Account Number on the Account Number section.
Benefit: It is helpful to monitoring and tracking the efficiency of your online campaigns and get the best results in your marketing efforts.
9) Add a Google Webmaster Tools verification tag in Magento: Go to System > Configuration > Design > HTML Head– Put your Google Webmaster Tools verification tag in the Miscellaneous Scripts section.
Benefit: It ensure that you are running a healthy website with the utmost efficiency
10) Block Unwanted Pages to Crawl– Create Robots.txt file to disallow the directories & files or add a noindex that you don’t want to crawl.
Benefit: To reduce duplicate content issues and block Search Engines from crawling the unwanted pages.
11) Create a unique & good content for your pages. Add eye-catching descriptions for your new categories, products, and pages that include your targeted keywords, so that search engines can easily crawl the pages.
– First research the best keywords for your website
– Change the title of the page that is Home into something more suitable for your website description
– Change the title/alt tag of logo from Magento Commerce
– Create a unique Meta Titles and Meta Descriptions for your pages & use the keywords properly
– On product pages, use H1, H2, H3 tags
– Delete all broken links